Office of Postdoctoral Affairs
University of South Florida Postdoctoral Scholars
Social Sciences and Humanities, 2013-14
Global Change in a Dynamic World
The University of South Florida has embarked on an ambitious program to enhance its rising stature as a pre-eminent research university with state, national and global impact, and position itself for membership in the Association of American Universities through: (1) Expanding world-class interdisciplinary research, creative and scholarly endeavors; (2) promoting globally competitive programs in teaching and research; (3) expanding local and global engagement initiatives to strengthen sustainable and healthy communities; and (4) enhancing revenue through external support. Details are available in the USF Strategic Plan (http://www.ods.usf.edu/plans/strategic/).
As part of this initiative, the University of South Florida is pleased to announce the fifth year of its Postdoctoral Scholars program in the Social Sciences and Humanities. The over-arching theme for this year’s scholars is Global Change in a Dynamic World. Potential themes include (but are not limited to) sustainability; sustainable development; hazard and disaster management; climate change; population changes; technology and information issues; communication and language development; cultural diasporas; ethnicity, gender, and aging issues; cultural heritage and histories; citizenship; identity; health, economic, education, and environmental disparities; political economy; ethics; human rights; animal rights; peace and conflict studies; injury and violence; security and surveillance issues. Specific research and geographical areas are open, and applicants may consider both past and contemporary perspectives.
Postdoctoral Scholars will: (i) contribute to one or more of the priority goals of the strategic plan; (ii) work closely with distinguished faculty; (iii) participate in an interdisciplinary project with the cohort of postdoctoral scholars; (iv) teach two courses over a twelve-month period; and (v) continue to build an independent research record and engage in publishing refereed articles and creative scholarship.
At least six twelve-month postdoctoral scholarships will be awarded in 2013-14 with appointments beginning August 5th, 2013. Appointments are for full time employment (40 hours per week) and will be continued for a maximum of 2 years contingent upon satisfactory performance. The salary is $40,000 per year and the University contributes to a health insurance program for postdoctoral scholars and their dependents (up to $6,000). Support for travel to academic conferences will also be available. Scholars will be responsible for relocation and housing expenses.
Applicants must have a doctoral degree in one of the following disciplines: Anthropology; Communication; English; Geography, Environment and Planning; Government and International Affairs; History; Philosophy; Sociology, or an affiliated program, earned no earlier than 2010. Candidates who will have successfully defended their dissertations by May 1, 2013 will also be considered, however the doctoral degree must have been conferred prior to the first day of employment. Note: applicants must have received their doctoral degree from an institution other than the University of South Florida.
Letters of application and supporting material must include the following:
- A cover letter stating your interest in this Postdoctoral Initiative. It must provide details on (i) how your research and teaching expertise would contribute to the theme of Global Change in a Dynamic World and the goals and aspirations of the USF Strategic Plan (http://www.ods.usf.edu/plans/strategic/); (ii) the department or departments with which you would like to be affiliated; (iii) your teaching experience and courses that you would like to offer; and (iv) your long-term goals,
- A Curriculum Vitae,
- Two letters of reference,
- Scanned copies of up to three of your published papers/scholarly works or book chapters (maximum of 3), and
- Scanned copies of current academic transcript from all degree awarding institutions. **
- Copies of teaching evaluations.
Send all application materials to: email@example.com
Final application submission deadline is Friday December 7, 2012
**Original transcripts will need to be mailed by those individuals who receive formal offers.
The University of South Florida is one of only three Florida public universities classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching in the top tier of research universities (RU/VH), a distinction attained by only 2.3% of all U.S. universities. USF is ranked 50th in the nation in total research expenditures and 27th in federal research expenditures for public universities by the National Science Foundation. The university is authorized to provide 237 degrees at the undergraduate, graduate, specialist and doctoral levels, including the doctor of medicine. USF ranks 10th among all universities granted U.S. patents in 2011 according to the Intellectual Property Owners Association, an increase of more than 3 percent from 2010. The University has a $1.5 billion annual budget, an annual economic impact of $3.2 billion, and serves more than 47,000 students on campuses in Tampa, St. Petersburg, and Sarasota-Manatee.
USF is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and Equal Access employer.
- Anthropology: http://anthropology.usf.edu
- Communication: http://communication.usf.edu
- English: http://english.usf.edu
- Geography, Environment, and Planning: http://gep.usf.edu/
- Government and International Affairs: http://gia.usf.edu/
- History: http://history.usf.edu
- Philosophy: http://philosophy.usf.edu/
- Sociology: http://sociology.usf.edu
- Strength of research/creative scholarship record and demonstrated promise of a successful academic career.
- Research and teaching experience in Global Change in a Dynamic World aligned with the goals of the USF Strategic Plan especially interdisciplinary inquiry, global initiatives, and community engagement.
- Teaching experience and contributions that fit within USF programs.