University of South Florida Postdoctoral Scholars
Social Sciences and Humanities, 2009-2010
The University of South Florida has embarked on an ambitious program to enhance its rising stature as a pre-eminent research university with state, national and global impact, and position itself for membership in the Association of American Universities through: (1) Expanding world-class interdisciplinary research, creative and scholarly endeavors; (2) promoting globally competitive programs in teaching and research; (3) expanding local and global engagement initiatives to strengthen sustainable and healthy communities; and (4) enhancing revenue through external support. Details are available in the USF Strategic Plan (http://www.ods.usf.edu/plans/strategic/).
As part of this initiative, the University of South Florida is pleased to announce a new Postdoctoral Scholars program beginning with the social sciences and humanities in 2009-10. Postdoctoral Scholars will: (i) contribute to one or more of the priority goals of the strategic plan; (ii) work closely with distinguished faculty; (iii) participate in interdisciplinary and programmatic seminar series; (iv) teach one course each semester; (v) continue to build an independent research record and engage in publishing refereed articles and creative scholarship; and (vi) seek external funding.
Several postdoctoral scholars positions will be awarded in the 2009-10 academic year with appointments beginning August 7th 2009. Appointments are for full time employment (40 hours per week) and are renewable for an additional academic year subject to satisfactory progress. Salary is $45,000 and the University offers subsidized health insurance. Support for travel to academic conferences will be available. Scholars will be responsible for relocation and housing expenses.
Applicants must have a doctoral degree in one of the following disciplines: Anthropology, Communication, English, Geography, or Philosophy, or an affiliated program, earned no earlier than 2005. Candidates who will have successfully defended their dissertations by May 1, 2009 will also be considered. It is expected that applicants will have had no more than two years of formal postdoctoral experience. Applicants must have received their doctoral degree from an institution other than the University of South Florida.
Letters of application and supporting material should include the following:
1. A cover letter stating your interest in the Postdoctoral Scholars position. Provide details on (i) how your research and teaching expertise would contribute to the goals and aspirations of the USF Strategic Plan; (ii) the department or departments with which you would like to be affiliated; (iii) the faculty members with whom you would like to work; (iv) teaching experience and courses that you would like to offer; and (v) your long-term goals.
2. A curriculum vitae.
3. Two letters of reference.
4. Copies of up to three of your published papers/scholarly work.
5. Scanned copies of current academic transcript from all degree awarding institutions.**
Send all application materials by January 5th to:
The USF Graduate School at firstname.lastname@example.org
**Original transcripts will need to be mailed by those individuals who receive formal offers.
The University of South Florida is one of the nation’s top 63 public research universities and one of 39 community engaged public universities as designated by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of teaching. USF was awarded more than $360 million in research contracts and grants last year. The university offers 219 degree programs at the undergraduate, graduate, specialist and doctoral levels, including the doctor of medicine. The University has a $1.6 billion annual budget, an annual economic impact of $3.2 billion, and serves more than 45,000 students on campuses in Tampa, St. Petersburg, Sarasota-Manatee and at USF Polytechnic. USF is a member of the Big East Athletic Conference.
USF is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and Equal Access employer.
• Department of Anthropology: http://anthropology.usf.edu
• Department of Communication: http://www.cas.usf.edu/communication
• Department of English: http://english.usf.edu
• Department of Geography: http://www.cas.usf.edu/geography
• Department of Philosophy: http://www.cas.usf.edu/philosophy
1. Strength of research/creative scholarship record and demonstrated promise of a successful academic career.
2. Research and teaching experience aligned with the goals of the USF Strategic Plan especially interdisciplinary and global initiatives and community engagement.
3. A research agenda that aligns with the expertise of a senior faculty member within one of the eligible disciplines.
4. Teaching experience and contributions to USF academic programs.
Globalizing Your Academic Career
Making Translational Research Tangible
Battle for German Brains
What to Expect in a First-Round Interview
Postdoctoral Fellowships in the Humanities Gain Importance in Career Paths
Postdocs: Striving for Success in a Tough Economy
Postdocs as Pipelines
Nat'l Academies Hope to Build a Better Postdoc
Content Collection: International Mobility
Scientists Want More Children
Scientists for Sale
Staying at Home
Time to Teach
Junior Professors: Juggling Teaching, Research, and Advice
Faculty Immobility in the New Economy
Taken for Granted: Creating Opportunities
Mentoring: On the right path
All’s Fair in Love and LinkedIn
New scheme offers hope in the uncertain world of postdoctoral despair
Picking a Postdoc Post
The Quality of Quantity in Academic Research
Should Scientists Take Military Money?
Postdocs Can Be Trained to Be More Effective Than Senior Instructors, Study Finds
A Better Way to Teach?
Confessions of a Journal Editor
Teaching in the Postdoc Space
Ambitious Postdocs Jostle for Scant Permanent Posts
Practical Tips for Surviving Academic Life (Part One: The Early Years)
How To Get Tenure at a Major Research University
Wanted: Out-of-the-Box Ideas on Clean Energy From Postdocs