Total Minimum Hours: 42 credit hours minimum
Core 12 credit hours
Concentration/Electives - 26 credit hours minimum (varies with each concentration)
Field Experience 1 credit hour minimum (varies with each each concentration)
Special Project -3 credit hours
Students must complete the Program core requirements and then the requirements as specified for the Concentration.
Program Core Courses 12 hours
PHC 6588History & Systems of Public Health (1)
PHC 6756 Population Assessment: Part 1 (5)
PHC 6757 Population Assessment: Part 2 (3)
PHC 6140 Translation to Public Health Practice (3)
Students select from one of the concentrations listed on the following pages. The Concentration section includes required electives and Field Experience information.
Students select from suggested electives listed with each Concentration on the following pages.
PHC 6945 Supervised Field Experience (up to 12 credits) 1 hr min
During 2nd semester meet with advisor and beginplanning field experience. Seehttp://health.usf.edu/publichealth/academicaffairs/fe/
PHC 6977 Special Project (3)
- Passing the CPH exam is a requirement for graduation by all MPH students. Students must be enrolled for two credits the term taking the exam.1st attempt the college of Public Health will pay funds permitting
- 2nd attempt student pays
- 3rd attempt is an oral exam given by the college of Public Health
SOCIAL MARKETING (SOM)
Offered in the Department of Community and Family Health
Social Marketing integrates marketing concepts with other public health approaches to design products, promote policies, and influence behaviors for the greater social good. This MPH concentration equips students with the public health and social marketing skills needed to tackle complex health problems by applying marketing principles and social change tools to design, implement, and evaluate behavioral interventions and policy changes. The curriculum trains students in marketing and social change theoretical models, formative research skills, program management skills, program evaluation techniques, and ethical principles that guide social marketers. The program may be completed exclusively online or as a blend of courses offered on the Tampa campus and online.
Concentration Admission Information
In addition to the Program Admission requirements, applicants must have the following:
- Suggested/preferred undergraduate majors: Undergraduate majors may be admitted from a wide range of backgrounds, although majors from nursing, the natural sciences, psychology, sociology, anthropology, marketing, and education are desirable.
- Work experience: Work experience in the field of public health and social marketing is appropriate, but not necessary.
- Minimum undergrad GPA - 3.0
- Three letters of recommendation from academic and/or related professional sources.
- Career goal statement
Total Program requirements with this concentration - 42 hours minimum
In addition to the 15 hours required for the Program (Core, , Special Project, and Comp Exam), this Concentration requires:
Concentration Course Requirements 12 credit hours
Electives 12 credit hours minimum
Field Experience 3 credit hours minimum
Concentration Course Requirements -12 hours
PHC 6411 (3) Introduction to Social Marketing
PHC 6705(3) Formative Research in Social Marketing
PHC 6460(3) Social Marketing Program Management
PHC 6461(3) Advanced Social Marketing
Electives - 12 hours
Field Experience 3 hour minimum
PHC 6945 3 Supervised Field Experience (up to 12 credits)