Total Minimum Hours: 42 credit hours minimum
Core 12 credit hours
Concentration/Electives - 26 credit hours minimum (varies with each concentration)
Field Experience 1 credit hour minimum (varies with each each concentration)
Special Project -3 credit hours
Students must complete the Program core requirements and then the requirements as specified for the Concentration.
Program Core Courses 12 hours
PHC 6588History & Systems of Public Health (1)
PHC 6756 Population Assessment: Part 1 (5)
PHC 6757 Population Assessment: Part 2 (3)
PHC 6140 Translation to Public Health Practice (3)
Students select from one of the concentrations listed on the following pages. The Concentration section includes required electives and Field Experience information.
Students select from suggested electives listed with each Concentration on the following pages.
PHC 6945 Supervised Field Experience (up to 12 credits) 1 hr min
During 2nd semester meet with advisor and beginplanning field experience. Seehttp://health.usf.edu/publichealth/academicaffairs/fe/
PHC 6977 Special Project (3)
- Passing the CPH exam is a requirement for graduation by all MPH students. Students must be enrolled for two credits the term taking the exam.1st attempt the college of Public Health will pay funds permitting
- 2nd attempt student pays
- 3rd attempt is an oral exam given by the college of Public Health
MATERNAL AND CHILD HEALTH (PMC)
Offered from the Department of Community and Family Health
The MPH in Public Health with a Concentration in Maternal and Child Health prepares health professionals and individuals in related fields for leadership roles in community based organizations that focus on major public health problems of women, children and families, especially among culturally diverse and underserved populations. Using multidisciplinary approaches, students develop analytical, advocacy, programmatic and evaluative skills to address health disparities, and to emphasize health promotion and disease prevention among populations in need.
Concentration Admission Information
In addition to the Program Admission requirements, applicants must have the following:
- Suggested/preferred undergraduate majors: Undergraduate majors may be admitted from a wide range of backgrounds, although majors from the health sciences such as nursing, social work, counseling, pre-med, the natural sciences are desirable.
- Work experience: Work experience in the field of public health, health or natural sciences, counseling, communications, social work, etc. is considered extremely desirable.
- Minimum undergrad GPA: 3.0 in upper division courses
- Other criteria: Three letters of recommendation from academic and/or related professional sources,career goals statement
Total Program requirements with this concentration - 42 hours minimum
In addition to the 15 hours required for the Program (Core, Special Project, and Comp Exam), this Concentration requires:
Concentration Course Requirements 15 credit hours
Electives 9 credit hour minimum
Field Experience 3 credit hour minimum
Concentration Course Requirements - 15 hours
PHC 6530 (3) Issues and Concepts in Maternal and Child Health I
PHC 6537 (3) Case Studies in Maternal and Child Health Programs, Policies & Research
PHC 6197 (3) Secondary Data Analysis in Maternal and Child Health
PHC 6505 (3) Program Planning in Community Health
PHC 6708 (3) Evaluation and Research Methods in Community Health
Electives - 9 hours
Examples of common elective options
PHC 6523 (3) Policies and Practices in Maternal and Child Nutrition
PHC 6532 (3) Women’s health Issues in Public Health
PHC 6590 (3) Reproductive Health Trends and Issues
PHC 6535 (3) International Maternal and Child Health
PHC 6414 (3) Adolescent Health
PHC 6934 (3) Selected Topics in Maternal Child Health
Field Experience 3 hour minimum
PHC 6945 Supervised Field Experience (up to 12 credits)
Students with little or no professional experience: 6 hours minimum. Students with relevant professional experience: 3 hours minimum. An expectation of 2-3 years of experience in an MCH-related clinical background or agency constitutes the term “previous professional experience” worthy of lesser field experience. Documentation required if less than 6.