Total Minimum Hours: 42 credit hours minimum
Core 12 credit hours
Concentration/Electives - 26 credit hours minimum (varies with each concentration)
Field Experience 1 credit hour minimum (varies with each each concentration)
Special Project -3 credit hours
Students must complete the Program core requirements and then the requirements as specified for the Concentration.
Program Core Courses 12 hours
PHC 6588History & Systems of Public Health (1)
PHC 6756 Population Assessment: Part 1 (5)
PHC 6757 Population Assessment: Part 2 (3)
PHC 6140 Translation to Public Health Practice (3)
Students select from one of the concentrations listed on the following pages. The Concentration section includes required electives and Field Experience information.
Students select from suggested electives listed with each Concentration on the following pages.
PHC 6945 Supervised Field Experience (up to 12 credits) 1 hr min
During 2nd semester meet with advisor and beginplanning field experience. Seehttp://health.usf.edu/publichealth/academicaffairs/fe/
PHC 6977 Special Project (3)
- Passing the CPH exam is a requirement for graduation by all MPH students. Students must be enrolled for two credits the term taking the exam.1st attempt the college of Public Health will pay funds permitting
- 2nd attempt student pays
- 3rd attempt is an oral exam given by the college of Public Health
Offered from the Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics
The MPH program in Public Health with a Concentration in Biostatistics provides educational opportunities for students to acquire a broad knowledge in biostatistics and apply biostatistical methods to public health problems.. The intended audience of the program includes individuals with strong quantitative background and interests in a professional career in a public health setting. The program trains students to be able to design studies, to implement data collection and management plans, to formulate analysis plans and conduct analysis, and to report and communicate analytical results. The program will also provide students with knowledge in statistical and computational methods and public health.
Concentration Admission Information
In addition to the Program Admission requirements, applicants must have the following:
- Suggested/preferred undergraduate majors: mathematics, statistics, computer sciences, natural sciences, biological sciences, engineering, medical sciences, environmental sciences, management information systems.
- Prerequisite undergraduate courses: linear algebra, calculus, basic computer skills (e.g. operating system, internet, word processing, spread sheet).
- Work experience: Prior work experience is preferred, but not required.
- Other criteria: Academic background, goal statement, student's academic interest, references and availability of faculty and facility resources are also considered as part of the entrance evaluation.
Total Program requirements with this concentration 44 hours minimum
In addition to the 15 hours required for the Program (Core Special Project and Comp Exam), this Concentration requires:
Concentration Course Requirements 21 credit hours
Electives 7 credit hours
Field Experience 1 credit hour minimum
Prerequisites (Not included in total program hours) - 6 hours
Biostatistics course prerequisites
- MAC 2311Calculus I
- MAC 1105 College Algebra
- Knowledge of Computer and SAS Programming
- Or an equivalent course is required
Concentration Course Requirements 21 hours
PHC 6053 (3) Categorical Data Analysis
PHC 6051 (3) Biostatistics II
PHC 6060 (3) Biostatistics Case Studies and Consulting I
HSC 6055 (3) Survival Analysis
PHC 6020 (3) Design and Conduct of Clinical Trials
PHC 6057(3) Biostatistical Inference I
PHC 6096(3) Fundamentals of Probability
Electives - 7 hours
Examples of common elective options
HSC 6054 (3) Design and Analysis of Experiments for Health Researchers
HSC 6056 (3) Survey Sampling Methods in Health Sciences
PHC 6934(3) Bayesian Data Analysis
PHC 6934(3) Multilevel Data Analysis
PHC 7053(3) Generalized Linear Model
PHC 7056(3) Longitudinal Data Analysis
PHC 6934 (1) Base Programming in SAS
PHC 6934 (2) Advanced Programming in SAS
Field Experience 1 hours minimum
PHC 6945 Supervised Field Experience (up to 12 credits)
No experience, or less than two years using biostatistical principles in a work setting: 3 credits minimum. Two or more years experience using biostatistical principles in a work setting: 1 credit minimum.