Graduate Course Proposal Form Submission Detail - NGR6723
Edit function not enabled for this course.
Approved by SCNS
Submission Type: Change
Course Change Information (for course changes only): Course objectives, Student Learning outcomes, and Major course topics
Comments: to GC 4/2/12; MS in Nursing; Question on online percentages - Online and 15% - should it be "Both? Faculty emailed 4/11/12. Cleared Sys 4/13; Cleared GC; to SCNS 4/18. SCNS appd eff 6/1/12
- Department and Contact Information
Tracking Number Date & Time Submitted 2810 2012-02-29 Department College Budget Account Number Contact Person Phone
- Course Information
Prefix Number Full Title NGR 6723 Leadership and Applied Management in Nursing Healthcare Is the course title variable? N Is a permit required for registration? Are the credit hours variable? N Is this course repeatable? If repeatable, how many times? 0 Credit Hours Section Type Grading Option 3 C - Class Lecture (Primarily) R - Regular Abbreviated Title (30 characters maximum) Ldshp & App Mgtm in Nur Hlth Course Online? Percentage Online O - Online (100% online) 0
Essential leadership skills and competencies to manage resources achieve quality and enhance healthcare outcomes. Emphasis on working with interdisciplinary teams to create and shape effective microsystems and microsystems.
A. Please briefly explain why it is necessary and/or desirable to add this course.
Needed for accreditation
B. What is the need or demand for this course? (Indicate if this course is part of a required sequence in the major.) What other programs would this course service?
Required as part of concentration.
C. Has this course been offered as Selected Topics/Experimental Topics course? If yes, how many times?
D. What qualifications for training and/or experience are necessary to teach this course? (List minimum qualifications for the instructor.)
- Other Course Information
1. Identify the economic legal and political factors that influence health care delivery.
2. Discuss methodology and basic concepts of quality improvement for improving performance in the macrosystem.
3. Analyze leadership and management team building strategies that promote effective human
4. Determine cost effective strategies for organizing and delivering services to assure quality and safety.
5. Integrate principles of leadership, management, quality improvement and use of evidence- based practice for micro and macrosystems.
6. Analyze the effectiveness of interdisciplinary team work to ensure health outcomes are consistent with current evidence related to quality and safety.
B. Learning Outcomes
1. Describe the nurse leaders role in establishing and maintaining an infrastructure necessary for
a program of quality health.
2. Evaluate the implementation and outcomes of a change that occurred in a health care
3. Analyze the success of an interdisciplinary team in a healthcare setting concentrating on the team dynamics
C. Major Topics
The State of Healthcare in America
The Healthcare System: Environment for Leadership
Organizational Theories and Design
Maintaining Momentum and Measuring Outcomes
Communication and Delegation
Critical Thinking and Decision Making
Patient Centered Care
Coaching and Mentoring
Sullivan, E & Decker, P. (2009). Effective leadership & management in nursing (7th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ:
Pearson Prentice Hall.
E. Course Readings, Online Resources, and Other Purchases
F. Student Expectations/Requirements and Grading Policy
G. Assignments, Exams and Tests
H. Attendance Policy
I. Policy on Make-up Work
J. Program This Course Supports
- Course Concurrence Information