Graduate Studies Reports Access
Graduate Course Proposal Form Submission Detail - ART6911
Tracking Number - 2372
Edit function not enabled for this course.
Approved, Permanent Archive - 2011-01-05
Submission Type: Change
Course Change Information (for course changes only): Change grading option from S/U to Regular. Change prerequisites FROM "PR: CI. Registration by contract only. Achieved candidacy" TO "PR: CI. Registration by contract only." Add the following course description: "Directed Research in which student must have a contract with an instructor."
Comments: GC approved 11/1/10; Approved full council 11/15/10. To SCNS 11/30/10. Approved. Effective 1/15/2011. Grading option change effective 201105 in Banner.
- Date & Time Submitted: 2010-09-10
- Department: Art
- College: FA
- Budget Account Number: 0-2404-000
- Contact Person: Richard E. Olinger
- Phone: 43660
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prefix: ART
- Number: 6911
- Full Title: Directed Research
- Credit Hours: 1-19
- Section Type: Z -
Directed Individual Study
- Is the course title variable?: N
- Is a permit required for registration?:
- Are the credit hours variable?: Y
- Is this course repeatable?:
- If repeatable, how many times?: 0
- Abbreviated Title (30 characters maximum): Directed Research
- Course Online?: C -
Face-to-face (0% online)
- Percentage Online: 0
- Grading Option:
S - S/U Only
- Course Description:
- Please briefly explain why it is necessary and/or desirable to add this course:
- What is the need or demand for this course? (Indicate if this course is part of a required sequence in the major.) What other programs would this course service? The course already exists. In the current catalog there is no course description listed. It is used by students whose research requires a greater time commitment than the 1 to 4 hours which limit other contract choices. We are attempting to change the grading option from S/U to Regular and to remove the current catalog limitation that it be used only after formation of the committee. The reason for the change is to increase the flexibility of MFA student scheduling while still maintaining the requirement that MFA students prior to the formation of their committee must take courses and do research for a grade.
- Has this course been offered as Selected Topics/Experimental Topics course? If yes, how many times? No
- What qualifications for training and/or experience are necessary to teach this course? (List minimum qualifications for the instructor.) Minimum requirements for the instructor are an MFA.
- Objectives: To facilitate intensive research in the visual arts through individual interaction with faculty and/or visiting artists.
- Learning Outcomes: Will vary with the nature of the research and the requirements as outlined in the contract between student and faculty member. In all instances outcomes should be evident in the nature and quality of research and art work produced.
- Major Topics: Variable by contract.
- Textbooks: No textbooks are assigned to this course number.
- Course Readings, Online Resources, and Other Purchases: Readings and online resources will be assigned by the instructor as appropriate.
- Student Expectations/Requirements and Grading Policy: Expectations will vary but will be defined in the contract between student and faculty member.
- Assignments, Exams and Tests: NA
- Attendance Policy: Course Attendance at First Class Meeting – Policy for Graduate Students: For structured courses, 6000 and above, the College/Campus Dean will set the first-day class attendance requirement. Check with the College for specific information. This policy is not applicable to courses in the following categories: Educational Outreach, Open University (TV), FEEDS Program, Community Experiential Learning (CEL), Cooperative Education Training, and courses that do not have regularly scheduled meeting days/times (such as, directed reading/research or study, individual research, thesis, dissertation, internship, practica, etc.). Students are responsible for dropping undesired courses in these categories by the 5th day of classes to avoid fee liability and academic penalty. (See USF Regulation – Registration - 4.0101,
Attendance Policy for the Observance of Religious Days by Students: In accordance with Sections 1006.53 and 1001.74(10)(g) Florida Statutes and Board of Governors Regulation 6C-6.0115, the University of South Florida (University/USF) has established the following policy regarding religious observances: (http://usfweb2.usf.edu/usfgc/gc_pp/acadaf/gc10-045.htm)
In the event of an emergency, it may be necessary for USF to suspend normal operations. During this time, USF may opt to continue delivery of instruction through methods that include but are not limited to: Blackboard, Elluminate, Skype, and email messaging and/or an alternate schedule. It’s the responsibility of the student to monitor Blackboard site for each class for course specific communication, and the main USF, College, and department websites, emails, and MoBull messages for important general information.
- Policy on Make-up Work: As the contract format is inherently flexible, the policy on make-up work will be defined by contract.
- Program This Course Supports: MFA
- Course Concurrence Information: MFA in Studio Art, MA in Art History