Graduate Studies Reports Access
Graduate Course Proposal Form Submission Detail - GMS6094
Tracking Number - 1589
Edit function not enabled for this course.
Approved, Permanent Archive - 2008-06-09
Course Change Information (for course changes only):
- Date & Time Submitted: 2008-03-21
- Department: Surgery
- College: MD
- Budget Account Number: 611100
- Contact Person: William G. Marshall, Jr., MD, MBA
- Phone: 8139747663
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prefix: GMS
- Number: 6094
- Full Title: BioMedical Ethics
- Credit Hours: 3
- Section Type: C -
Class Lecture (Primarily)
- Is the course title variable?: N
- Is a permit required for registration?: N
- Are the credit hours variable?: N
- Is this course repeatable?:
- If repeatable, how many times?: 0
- Abbreviated Title (30 characters maximum): BioMedical Ethics
- Course Online?: -
- Percentage Online:
- Grading Option:
R - Regular
- Prerequisites: None
- Corequisites: None
- Course Description: This course will focus on biomedical ethical issues in business, research, clinical care, and technology development in the Life Sciences and healthcare industries.
There are no restrictions, may be taken for credit (3 credits) once.
- Please briefly explain why it is necessary and/or desirable to add this course: The currently available ethics classes primarily focus on medical ethics for physicians and healthcare professionals or business ethics for business professionals. A class that crosses these disciplines with more focus on issues faced by individuals in th
- What is the need or demand for this course? (Indicate if this course is part of a required sequence in the major.) What other programs would this course service? This is one of a three course option (business ethics, medical ethics, or this course) that satisfies the ethics requirement in the Masters in Technology Entrepreneurship program. It is also an elective in the Medical Ethics and Humanities program and is a required component course of a new graduate certificate in BioMedical Ethics offered in the College of Medicine.
- Has this course been offered as Selected Topics/Experimental Topics course? If yes, how many times? Yes. Twice (Spring 2007 and Spring 2008)
- What qualifications for training and/or experience are necessary to teach this course? (List minimum qualifications for the instructor.) Graduate degree(MD or PhD) in biology, medicine, or medical ethics and 5 years experience in the medical, healthcare, or Life Sciences industries.
- Objectives: • Convey and demonstrate the ethical issues faced by professionals, individuals, and organizations in the Life Sciences and Technology industries.
• Assessment and application of ethical principles and standards to complex issues in the Life Sciences and Technology industries.
- Learning Outcomes: • Demonstration of an understanding of the principles and fundamentals of the biomedical ethics and their application.
• Demonstration of an understanding and ability to apply ethical approaches to complex issues in the Life Sciences and Technology Industries.
• Demonstration of an understanding and appreciation of the impact and application of ethical issues and approaches on the success and/or failure of companies and technologies in the Life Sciences and Technology Industries.
• Demonstration of the appropriate use of ethical standards in complex situations in Life Sciences and Technology Industries.
- Major Topics: History of Ethical Thought
History of Development of Ethical Codes
National and International Ethical Guidelines
The Neuropsychiatric Basis of Ethics and Morality
Ethical Issues in Basic Research
Ethical Issues in Clinical and Translational Research
The Ethics of Transplantation
Rationing of Healthcare
Ethics and Gene Therapies
Ethics and Stem Cell Therapies
Life Sciences Corporate Ethics
- Textbooks: BioMedical Ethics (6th ed) by Thomas A. Mappes and David Degrazia
Classic Cases in Medical Ethics (5th ed.) by Gregory E. Pence
- Course Readings, Online Resources, and Other Purchases:
- Student Expectations/Requirements and Grading Policy:
- Assignments, Exams and Tests:
- Attendance Policy:
- Policy on Make-up Work:
- Program This Course Supports:
- Course Concurrence Information: