Graduate Student Orientation - Fall 2015
USF Tampa Campus – Marshall Student Center (MSC)
August 11, 2015
Graduate students now represent 22% of the student body at USF. Although you will spend most of your time in the confines of your department, we hope you will take advantage of this opportunity to learn about the resources and services the University and the Office of Graduate Studies make available to support your education and professional development.
This orientation program is sponsored by the Office of Graduate Studies for all new graduate students. You will be introduced to a wide range of offices, organizations, and services that are here for you. You will hear from faculty, staff and current students who will share information and advice to ease your transition and enrich your experience at USF.
Many graduate programs also schedule (and some require attendance at) department orientations that focus on your academic program and department/college resources, and we encourage you to attend yours. Contact your program director for details.
We understand that graduate students have busy schedules and we’ve done our best to make the schedule flexible enough to accommodate as many students as possible. Below you will find the tentative orientation schedule for Fall 2015.
|Tentative Schedule (August 11, 2015)|
|3:00 PM - 4:00 PM||Orientation Registration & Check-In|
|4:00 PM - 5:00 PM||Orientation Session (Opening Plenary)|
|5:00 PM - 5:30 PM||Financial Aid Information Session (Optional)|
|5:00 PM - 6:00 PM||Information Fair|
|5:00 PM - 7:00 PM||Concurrent Breakout Sessions|
|6:30 PM||Graduate Student Mixer|
Please complete your orientation registration as soon as possible at http://www.grad.usf.edu/orientation/rsvp.php. This will reserve your spot for the orientation session. It will also help us to plan for adequate refreshments and supplies at the event.
The orientation program is divided into four formats:
- Opening Plenary: The Assistant Dean of the Office Graduate Studies and administrators from the Offices of the Provost, and Student Affairs will give brief overviews of their areas and their roles in your graduate education.
- Information Fair: Running from 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM (concurrently with the Breakout Sessions), the Information Fair will be an opportunity for you to visit with representatives from various campus departments and organizations in one location.
- Breakout Sessions: Students will be able to select areas of interest to participate during the breakout sessions. Formats include presentations, student panels, and discussion sessions. Topics ranges from:
- Getting Settled @ USF: An International Student Perspective (student panel)
- Graduate Student Life at USF (current student panel)
- Fellowships and Awards
- Library Orientation Sessions
- Navigating Canvas (the new Learning Management System at USF)
- Graduate Student Mixer: We hope you will remain with us after 6:00 pm for a relaxed opportunity to meet USF faculty and staff as well as current and new graduate students in an informal setting. Stay tuned for details!
Parking information: TBA
Last Updated - 2015-04-28 (323)