Graduate Curriculum Processing
New Degree Programs | Changes to a
Graduate Major (and New/Changed Concentrations)
Degree Program and/or Major Terminations or Suspensions
Dual Degree Graduate Majors | Accelerated Undergraduate to Graduate Majors
See if needed for planning: Click here for printable Grad Council dates
Steps/Routing for All Major (and Concentration) Actions:
- Faculty creates proposal and updates corresponding Graduate Catalog copy (to obtain a word copy of your catalog pages send an email request to email@example.com.)
- Faculty submits proposal to Department, then to School/College Curriculum Committee (if applicable)
Note: Colleges have own internal procedures and deadlines; check with college for information.
- College Curriculum Committee submits to College Associate Dean
- College Associate Dean submits to Office of Graduate Studies by emailing the signed electronic packet which includes the Approval form and the Catalog copy in WORD with track changes to firstname.lastname@example.org for preparation for Graduate Council review
- Graduate Council Curriculum Committee reviews proposal
- Office of Graduate Studies notifies faculty of approval/disapproval
- Office of Graduate Studies notifies the Registrar's office so that the Curriculum tables may be updated (if needed)
- Office of Graduate Studies updates the next Graduate Catalog with the changes. Changes are effective with that Catalog.
NEW DEGREE PROGRAMS (CIP)
Refer to the System Academics Website: http://systemacademics.usf.edu/curriculum/new-program.php
CHANGES TO A GRADUATE MAJOR (and new/changed Concentrations)
To make changes to an existing Degree Program (Major) or to add a Concentration, make changes to an existing concentration, or terminate an existing concentration within an existing Degree Program, do the following:
Complete the Changes to Graduate Majors form (Word doc for Microsoft Internet Explorer)
Follow the routing/steps noted at the top.
NOTE: changes to a concentration must be within the parameters of the overall program
DEGREE PROGRAM AND MAJOR SUSPENSIONS AND TERMINATIONS
To suspend a Degree Program and/or Major (i.e. place on Inactive Status) or to terminate an existing Degree Program and/or Major complete the following:
- Complete the Changes to Graduate Majors form (Word Document - signature/routing form)
- See information on Systems Academic Websites - under "Other Forms"
- Complete the appropriate form for the requested action:
- To Suspend - Complete the Program Suspension form
- To Terminate only that major (but keep other majors in the same CIP) - complete the Program Termination- Partial CIP
- To Terminate the entire degree program (CIP and all majors under it) - complete the Program Termination - Full CIP
- Attach the corresponding Graduate Catalog copy showing the changes that will be needed if the proposal is approved. Follow the routing/steps noted at the top.
DUAL DEGREE GRADUATE MAJORS- New or Changes
To formalize a Dual Degree Graduate Majors where both majors are already existing and approved. Note: total combined hours must be at least 60 graduate hours.
NEW DUAL DEGREES GRADUATE MAJORS
- Complete the New Dual Degree Program Approval Form. For assistance contact email@example.com
- Attach a 250 word abstract that summarizes:
- Why is the dual degree program needed, and
- What are the goals
CHANGES IN DUAL DEGREE GRADUATE MAJORS
- Complete the Dual Degree Graduate Majors - Change Major Approval Form. For assistance contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attach a memo that summarizes in three distinct sections:
- list/describe what the old requirements were
- list/describe what the new requirements will be
- why the changes are necessary
- Note, after changes, the total minimum combined graduate hours must be at least 60.
- Attach the corresponding Graduate Catalog Copy showing the changes that will be needed if the proposal is approved. Follow the routing/steps noted at the top.
ACCELERATED UNDERGRADUATE TO GRADUATE MAJORS- New or Changes
To formalize a Bachelors/Masters Program.
- Complete the Accelerated Program Development Form. For assistance contact email@example.com
- Attach the corresponding Catalog Copy in Word.
- For more information and routing instructions, refer to the Accelerated Programs Information page
Return to Graduate Curriculum page