Apply to USF Now | Graduate Admissions | Events & Workshops | Giving to the Office of Graduate Studies
Back To Top
ETD Process Requirements
ETD Process Checklists
ETD Formatting Requirements
ETD Quick Links
List of Figures
*Required (if figures are included)
List of Figures
If your thesis/dissertation contains one or more figures, a List of Figures is required. The List of Figures
is similar to a Table of Contents, in that it identifies all of the figures, along with their page numbers.
Setting Up Tabs
- Create the "List of Figures" heading (2" from the top of the page, styled as a 1st level heading).
- Set page spacing to single-spaced.
- Click on the bottom right of the Paragraph tab to open the Paragraph Settings window.
- Click on the Tabs button at the bottom left of the window.
- Set the first tab to 0.75" (Align LEFT; Leader NONE).
- Set a final indent to 6.5" (Align RIGHT; Leader DOTTED - if you want to have a dotted leader line).
- Click Save on the Tabs window and then close the Paragraph settings window.
- Click and move the right indent to 6.0" so that any long headers will wrap to the next line.
Section Heading Formatting
- Line Spacing: Single-spaced (with double-space between figure listings)
- Page Number: Lowercase Roman numeral (Continued from previous section)
- All 1st-order headings must be 2" from the top edge of the page and must be styled consistently.
- All figure titles must match verbatim (word-for-word) to those used in the body of manuscript.
(Include only the first sentence of each figure caption.)
- All figures are numbered consecutively using a consistent style.
- Titles should not be closer than 0.5" from the right margin so they do not overcrowd the page numbers.
- Lines of text that wrap to more than one line: the 2nd line indents an additional 0.25" from the left margin.
- All page numbers associated with figure titles correspond to the correct location in the body of the manuscript.
- All page numbers are right-aligned with the 1" right margin.
- Figures from the Appendices section are listed using Arabic numbers that are different from those in the body.
(i.e.: Figure 1A, Figure 2A, or Figure A1,Figure A2, etc.)